Friday, February 12, 2010

Raspberry-Filled Ebelskiver


This Swedish filled pancake is a delicious winter treat. It can be served like a dessert for breakfast or brunch or just as a dessert. The dough itself is not incredibly sweet, so the sweetness comes from the filling inside or from the powdered sugar if you decide to sprinkle some on. This one is not so easy on your arteries though. It's coated in butter.

This was my first attempt at this one. My uncle bought me every thing I needed to make the ebelskiver Christmas of '08, but I was daunted his instructions and the look of them. Although I haven't perfected them by any means, they were not as difficult to make as I thought they'd be. Just like cooking a real pancake, they take a little practice to know when to flip them and to get the heat just right.

I've already come up with a savory version I would like to make. Instead of a jam or cream cheese filling, I would mix black beans, cilantro, corn, and Mexican spices, and instead of the pancake mix, I'd use a corn bread mix. This could be paired with a tomatillo salsa.

Share these with friends for a brunch. They will be impressed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment