Sunday, March 14, 2010

Chicago Diner Inspired Avocado Tostadas


I visited the infamous Chicago Diner for the first time the other day with a good friend. I've heard pretty mixed reviews of the place with a lean towards yummy, but I definitely wanted to check it out for myself. The menu looked pretty good, and there were several things I wanted to order. I picked the Avocado Tostadas because I am not the type of vegetarian that does it despite the fact that they love the taste of meat. The Chicago Diner is famous for their vegan versions of popular meat diner food like the ruben. Meat doesn't taste good to me, so I don't want a dish that tries to imitate it. Instead, I opt for lot's of delicious veggies. There's not a vegetable that I don't like.

Anyway, I got my food, and it was delicious. The only problem was that my two tostadas were not filling, and they cost a whopping $10.99. Well, there was one more slight problem. I didn't like the salsa. It was a mild blend of what I believe to be cilantro, lime, and vinegar which I opted not to use.

Essentially, the tostada started with a layer of spiced black beans, followed by a thin layer of quinoa, sauteed red peppers and onions, and topped with fresh avocado. It's pretty simple, but it tastes great, it's healthy, vegan, and easy to make.

Here's what you'll need to make 4 or 5;

Tostadas
Can of Black Beans
1 small Red Onion, sliced into thin strips
1 Bell Pepper (red or orange), sliced into thin strips
1 cup Quinoa, cooked (easily done in a rice cooker)
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 ripe Avocado (you know when an avocado is ripe if it ever so slightly yields to pressure and the nub easily comes off)
Salsa (I really like on from Salpica for this recipe. It's a verde made with green olives and roasted tomatillos. It's a little smokey and spicy.)
Mexican Seasoning blend to taste

Set the quinoa. Open the can of beans, and pour about half of the water out. Slowly simmer the beans with water and the seasoning. When it is heated through, pour out half of the beans and mash well. Then blend the beans with the mash, and you have the bean spread. Meanwhile, you should be sauteing the onions and pepper.

When all of your ingredients are ready, you can heat the tortillas by placing them over your burner with a low flame until they get a little sweaty. Layer the beans and then quinoa. Spread the salsa. Top with the peppers and onions and finally the fresh avocado.

Super easy, super yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment